Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Amanda Palmer is Coming to Town

Amanda Palmer is going to be performing at the Magic Bag (Ferndale, MI) on December 2. For those of you who are not familiar with this amazing woman, she is a truly inventive and unique musician. She is part of the dynamic duo that is the Dresden Dolls, but has just released her first solo album, Who Killed Amanda Palmer. She has also revolutionized a movement known as Punk Cabaret. And she keeps a very candid intriguing blog.

If you don’t know her I’m sure you are probably wondering why I’m spending so much time on this one musician. The answer is that she identifies as bisexual. She toured last year with the True Colors tour, and was just recently listed in Out Magazine as one of their Hot 100. Here is a quote from her taken from Wikipedia, “I'm bisexual, but it's not the sort of thing I spent a lot of time thinking about…I've slept with girls; I've slept with guys, so I guess that's what they call it! I'm not anti trying to use language to simplify our lives…I actually tend to like really femmey girls… You can deconstruct this with armchair psychology and really nail me, but I like girls about my body type and about my mix of masculine and feminine."

If you ever get the chance to see her perform live it is an experience worth having.
Here is Amanda Palmer (second from the right) along with Tegan and Sara Quin, and Amy Cook in their photo shoot from Out Magazine.
Here are some more links if you are interested in finding out more:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amanda Palmer is bisexual? Really? Yet, she's never publicly been seen with a woman. Even though she's very publicly married to a man. I think it's just an attention ploy, personally. Pretty offensive.