Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Ikki Twins Replace Tila



So I saw a post on a news forum that I follow, and I hoped that when I woke up in the morning it would be nothing more than a bad dream from staying up to late. However, I woke up to find that an actual article had been written for the subject, which fits because we were just talking about one of the issues here last night.

In case you haven’t heard, MTV’s bisexual-exploiting show, A Shot at Love, which featured Tila Tequila as the face of bisexuality, has been picked up for a third season. But to make things more “interesting” it is now A Double Shot at Love, featuring the Ikki twins…If you have never heard of them (like me) they started model after working at Hooters, and their highest accomplishment is working for Playboy, and they proclaim themselves to be “the world’s hottest twins.” The site claims that the two are bisexual, but they only list boys on their interest and have only had boyfriends. While they could be bisexual, it feels more like a ploy. Then there is the issue of the incestuous overtones. Which is kind of ironic since we talked about incest, polygamy, BDSM, and other sexual practices that the Queer community usually tries to distance itself from.

For me the incest is not my main concern, my concern is that these two women will be the face of bisexuality to people who have never met a bisexual, and that SCARES me. I thought Tila was a bad representation, but I would much rather she hosts this third season. There are so few representations of bisexual individuals on TV as it is, and MTV reaches a large audience, and I’m worried about the affect this will have. MTV is playing into the myths that help create biphobia. Hopefully I am being overdramatic, but feel free to leave comments with your thoughts on the Ikki Twins, and the impact they may have for the rest of us.

To read the article go here (it is very well written and touches on most of the concerns I brought up)

No comments: